What We Do
You are here
What We Do
The Office of Proposal Development supports the development and preparation of strategic, interdisciplinary proposals that have university-wide impact. We provide a range of services, from the strategic analysis of funding opportunities to writing and editing to logistical support and data collection.
THE OPD APPROACH TO PROPOSAL DEVELOPMENT
The Office of Proposal Development works on projects of strategic importance to campus—you can consider us a key part of your team, and we are dedicated to your success! You can rely on OPD to be responsive, respectful, and engaged throughout the proposal development process, and we expect the same from the PIs that we work with.
OPD offers a full suite of Research Development services. Research Development Managers in OPD can offer advice and help connect you with appropriate resources to complete your project. To do that, we require detailed information and ample lead time.
During our initial conversation, we will ask about:
* The funding agency and name/number of the funding opportunity announcement (FOA) or request for proposals (RFP)
* Relevant deadlines
* Reviewer feedback (if a resubmission)
* Possible research team members and partner organizations
* Other support staff (We work closely—and frequently— with Research Development teams in units across campus.)
* The lay of the land – conversations you have had with the funding agency, with campus leadership, and with potential partners.
Once we determine how we can help, we will work with you to develop a plan and a timeline that works for both of us.
Open communication is one of our guiding principles, and we want to share our time-tested approach to making sure that we know what to expect from one another:
* We will respond to one another promptly. Typically, you can except to hear back from us within 24 hours, and we hope you will show us the same courtesy.
* We will develop internal timelines together, and we will meet them! If something alters progress toward our goals, we will let one another know.
* We will work together to think through roles and responsibilities, and we will work together to develop checklists that spell out who does what. Then we’ll work from those lists. If the scope of work changes, we’ll talk about it. Because we work on multiple projects with multiple deadlines, we cannot always accommodate changes.
* Finally, we want to know how things turn out, and we hope that you will keep us posted on the status of your project! We learn from past projects, and we keep an archive of related materials. We ask that the PIs who work with OPD provide us with a final copy of the proposal, as submitted to sponsor. We also request that PIs that work with us share the outcome of the project, including the sponsor’s funding decision and reviewer comments. We invest ourselves in your success, and we track our impact on the campus research enterprise. To do that, we need to know the outcome of your project.
OPD has a proven track record of success. Our team has extensive proposal development experience and broad subject matter expertise, and we work in partnership with campus PIs to identify opportunities, hone ideas, and create vibrant teams. We look forward to working with you to prepare a compelling, compliant, and (hopefully!) successful proposal.